Friday, January 18, 2013

Reflections



This post is dedicated to my good friends Kirk and Lisa! 

How can I sum up the past 9 months for my faithful readers?  There have been friendships formed, and major life events missed (two weddings in the past 9 months alone). Pounds lost, gray hairs found. I could count the number of miles I have driven back and forth over the mountain to Sarajevo (usually alone, blasting music and singing along loudly and off-key)-more than 12,000. There were also trips throughout Bosnia (and Herzegovina) to the Dalmatian coast, the Istrian coast, DC, London, Turkmenistan (via Turkey), Italy, and of course my beloved Belgrade (though not often enough).  I have also hosted visitors in Banja Luka! Friends came from near and far (Belgrade, Sarajevo, Saudi Arabia, Kansas) to visit me and see this place I call home.

Fast forward to the end of 2012…I spent my birthday and New Year’s Day and several days beyond that sick, alone, and throwing myself a pity party in between coughing fits and naps.

But, 2013 is already looking up! I got exciting news last week… my next assignment will take me to Bogota, Columbia! It was my first choice, and I am so excited about it. I am also looking forward to spending several months in DC learning Spanish and easing the transition from one of the smallest posts in the world to one of the largest.

So, one of my mail goals for the year is to enjoy the time I have left here. To enjoy my 5 minute walk to work. To enjoy living in the heart of Europe. To enjoy being able to jump into my car and go….

Another goal? To write more. 

2 comments:

  1. It's about damn time! When are you going to start posting excerpts from the novel ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that kind of blog! :) am thinking of the best way to share the masterpiece... :)

      Delete